Facts & Firsts
"Firsts are cool inasmuch as you get to make a list, but what really shines forth from this is the Spirit of the Composer. With brave Innovation at the Composer's core, the Music he writes reflects the same pioneering and ground-breaking." TD, retired Music Educator.
My Friends... despite all the imitations and claims, you can't fake Real. If you're a Conductor, and an Educator who relates to that, then get to know this Music again or come to know it for the first time.
STORMWORKS FIRSTS in Black & White!
There is no megaphone other than the word-of-mouth endorsements of fellow STORMDirectors and since many want to be first to be second, these facts remain:
• FIRST Composer to self-publish? STORMWORKS (1992) (Haydn & many others of course... but in our Time. Elaborated by JB below.)
• FIRST setting of PDF Music: STORMWORKS (1993)
• FIRST CDR of PDF Music: STORMWORKS, STORMQUEST (1996)
• FIRST Score and Parts emailing: STORMWORKS (1996) (... to Norway!)
• FIRST internet REHEARSAL: STORMWORKS (2005) (actually earlier, but this was a conducted rehearsal!)
• FIRST Time that a Composer's CD with ORIGINAL MUSIC for BAND had been put up for nomination in the first rounds for a Grammy Award: STORMWORKS 5:8 (2006) (This was only in the first round and therefore never made the books. The people that nominated did it on their own and with no politics attached. Thank you!)
• FIRST Composer of Music for Band to use DigiCard™ (See Billboard Magazine, March 2008.)
• FIRST Film Scoring Book on iTunes Bookstore: Music to Picture
• FIRST to create PHOTORhythm™ & VisaREEL™ (2005-2006) (where Music is Visually Scored and the normal hierarchy of the senses is reversed in favor of Music.)
• For more interesting "FIRSTS," please read the SCORE Notes to LAST WORLD STANDING. This provides a 34-year History of the Evolution of STORMWORKS. Download your resource under Chapter 13, via DIGITAL LIBRETTI.
"Composer Stephen Melillo's STORMWORKS® Music & Teaching Tools for Ensembles of the 3rd Millennium™ was the first music publisher to disseminate Music worldwide using Portable Document Format or PDFs, literally at the inception of Adobe introducing the Software in June of 1993. (By the way, this is 17 years ahead of other organizations who have claimed to be the "first" in this regard.)" James Byrn
1. Current number of pieces in STORMWORKS: 356 movements, plus tools.
2. Number of Score Pages, all available as PDF: 6333 (just the STORMWorks or 148 of 1050 works) Duration of Current STORMWORKS: 23.55 hours.
3. Number of individuals worked with since 18 March 1996: 35,644
4. So far, 20 - STORMDirectors got STORMQuest, never touching their Music Budgets! How?
5. OFFICIAL STORMDirectors: 441 (#333 is Chris Behrens from Wisconsin)
6. The FIRST STORMDirector to acquire the STORMSystem via Sweetwater is Jim Kull from St. Charles, Illinois.
7. The 333rd STORMDirector is Frank Wickes from Louisiana State University!
8. The 2,000th STORMDirector is Larry Lamkin from Linwood, New Jersey!
9. The First Official STORMDirector of 2000 is Ryan Burnette from Winamac, WI!
10. The First Official STORMDirector of 2001 (the 3rd Millennium) is Mark Stice from Eaton Rapids, MI.
11. The First Official STORMDirector of 2002 is David Wilson from University of MS.
12. The First Official STORMDirector of 2003 is John Dorn from Concordia University of Seward, NE.
13. The FIRST International STORMDirector to get an entire Piece... O Come Holy Night... as PDF over EMAIL is Scott Rogers from Sandefjord, Norway! (Talk about saving some shipping costs! Way to go, Scotty!)
14. The FIRST OFFICIAL STORMDirector is Steve Olsen from Eden Prairie HS in Minnesota! Thanks, Steve!
15. The FIRST EUROPEAN OFFICIAL STORMDirector is Jack Haasnoot of The Netherlands.
16. The FIRST JAPANESE OFFICIAL STORMDirector is Takuo Ohtsuki of Kyoto.
17. The FIRST STORMDirector to get Music as PDF over EMAIL is Bob Casperson from Hastings HS in Minnesota! He also makes STORMPizza every Sunday! WOW!
18. The FIRST STORMDirector to invest in STORMQuest on CD-ROM is Wesley Russell from Joliet, Illinois! (Little did you know it then, Wes, but you made History. You were the Real first to get Music this way!)
19. The FIRST STORMDirector to invest in the COMPLETE STORMQuest (Hard Copy) is Frank Tracz from Kansas State University!
20. The FIRST STORMDirector to successfully make STORMSauce is Doug Fletcher from Indiana. Way to go, Doug!
21. The FIRST STORMDirector to invest in the COMPLETE LIBRARY, accompanying sets of Parts and all Teaching Tools is Keith Hodgson from Mainland High School in New Jersey! WO! Thanks, Keith!
22. The FIRST STORMDirector to invest in A WISH to the WORLD! on CDR, not one note heard... and do it without touching the Music Budget... is the completely *up-to-speed*... *oh yeah, he totally gets it*, Mr. Todd Statler from Eureka, Illinois. Way to go, Todd.
23. A New STORMWORKS record! FIVE Minutes from Commission announcement to Contract! This was achieved by synchronous email watcher and True STORM Aficionado, PHIL MIN formerly of Vestavia High School, Alabama, and now Professor of Music at University of Southern Mississippi. WOW!
24. The FIRST AUSTRALIAN OFFICIAL STORMDirector is David Polain.